Breastfeeding is a personal decision. LaSalle County Health Department, along with the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you choose to breastfeed as your method of infant feeding.
Although most anyone you speak to will agree that breastfeeding benefits both mom and baby, support for breastfeeding moms is often hard to find. Many myths, misconceptions, and general misinformation are often more readily available than the facts.
LaSalle County Health Department has trained staff available to provide accurate breastfeeding information and to offer support for breastfeeding moms.
Women, Infants & Children (WIC) Program Eligible Women
WIC-eligible women are able to receive WIC benefits for themselves and their babies. Breast pumps are also available for WIC moms. Please visit the WIC site for more information on the WIC program. As hard as formula companies try, they can never duplicate breast milk or the benefits that breastfeeding provides to mom and baby.
Do you know…
- Breast milk provides protection to babies against ear infections, diarrhea, vomiting, respiratory illness, and meningitis, to mention a few of the many health benefits.
- Breast milk is easier for babies to digest.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of childhood obesity.
- Breastfeeding helps moms burn calories and return to pre-pregnancy weight more quickly.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of ovarian and breast cancer in moms who breastfeed.
- Breastfeeding helps moms build bone strength to protect against bone fractures in older age.
And that is not all…
The benefits of breastfeeding are too numerous to mention on one page. There are many good websites to visit….don't be afraid to take a walk on the "lighter" side of breastfeeding. Yes, ladies, breastfeeding can be fun!!
Resources abound….LaSalle County Health Department WIC Clinics
For breastfeeding questions, reach out to our office at 815-433-3366.
These are only a few of the websites that are out there…there are many more if you need other information.