Property Fraud Alert System
Preventing mortgage fraud and identity theft is extremely important to your LaSalle County Recorder's office. Unfortunately, it has become all too easy for a criminal to record a fraudulent deed, making it appear as if they own your home. Once this step is complete, they can use your home as collateral on a mortgage or even attempt to sell your home to an unsuspecting buyer. The LaSalle County Recorder's office has taken a proactive step to provide you with one tool for staying ahead of criminals who prey on property owners. For your protection, consider subscribing to our free Property Fraud Alert Service for real-time monitoring and notification of any documents recorded with your name. Your security does matter to us.
The following are suggestions should you feel possible fraudulent activity has taken place via this notification:
- Contact any other parties whose names may be on the document
- Other parties may be aware of the document and the referenced property or may have mutual concern about the document's potential impact.
- Contact your attorney
- If you are not sure about the purpose of the referenced document, a private attorney may be able to determine impact and possible action in a timely fashion and minimize the damage and inconvenience of a fraudulent document.
- Contact your lending institution
- If you believe possible fraudulent activity has taken place, contacting your bank, mortgage company, or lending institution in a timely fashion may help your cause.
We would like to hear about your experience with the Property Fraud Alert website and your suggestions on how we can make the service better and of greater value to you and others. Email Property Fraud Alert with feedback.
- What is Property Fraud Alert (PFA)?
Property Fraud Alert is a notification service that alerts subscribers (via email or phone contact) each time a document is recorded with their name on it. The subscriber must select one method of notification, providing either an email address or a phone number.
- Is there a fee to subscribe to PFA?
The LaSalle County Recorder’s Office provides this service to LaSalle County property owners at no charge.
- How many names can I enter?
Names can be entered at no charge for any property owner in your family and/or your business name. Limitations only apply to the number of name assigned to particular notification methods.
- How many names can I enter using the same notification email address or phone number?
You may enter up to a total of four personal and/or business names per one unique email address, or up to a total of three personal and/or business names per one unique phone number.
- Can I enter more than one name at a time?
No. You must make separate subscription entries for each individual name (personal or business). For a married couple or for those persons who share the same last name, you must make individual subscription entries for each person.