- What are the requirements to serve as a juror?
- Must be a United States Citizen
- Must be 18 years of age and older
- Must be a resident of LaSalle County
Note: If you are not a citizen or resident, please mark your questionnaire appropriately and return to the Jury Commission office.
- How will I know if I need to report for jury service?
Jurors are to call a recorded message for instructions prior to reporting. Make sure to read all instructions on the jury summons listed on the back of the summons in the dark blue box.
- If I am needed to report, which courthouse do I report to and where do I park?
The courthouse you report to is the Governmental Complex, 707 Etna Road, Ottawa, Illinois. Please park on the east side of the courthouse and enter through the east door. A Jury Commissioner will be at the door to direct you to the Jury Assembly Room. The Jury Assembly Room is located in the basement and clearly marked.
- Will I be paid for my jury service?
Yes. You are entitled to $10 for the first day of service. On the second day and thereafter you are entitled to $15.50. Additionally, you will receive mileage at the current IRS business rate from the post office in your town to the post office in Ottawa, roundtrip.
- When will I be paid for jury service?
The jury payroll is done on the last Wednesday of the month. Checks are mailed within the next day or so of the next month.
- What do I need to bring for my jury service?
Make sure you bring your jury summons, and if you did not mail your questionnaire bring it with you.
- What can I do if I don’t have transportation?
No one is excused for lack of transportation. You would need to make arrangements for transportation.
- What is the proper dress attire for jury service?
Jurors should dress comfortably but appropriately for a courtroom. Also, during the summer months, the courtrooms are cool from the air conditioning so you may want to bring a sweater or jacket with you. Tank tops, low-cut sleeveless tops, and halter tops are not allowed in the jury room or courtroom.
- May I bring a lunch?
You may bring a lunch. Unfortunately, we do not have a place to refrigerate food or drinks. You may want to bring some money with you in case you eat out. There are vending machines with snacks, juice and pop. There will be coffee or tea provided in the Jury Assembly Room.
- What am I allowed to bring to jury service?
You may bring your own reading material or office work. We do have reading material provided in the Jury Assembly Room. Jurors may not bring laptops, cell phones, cameras, video and/or audio recorders or electronic games.